NCI Cancer Research Data Commons
The vision for the CRDC is a virtual, expandable infrastructure that provides secure access to many different data types across scientific domains, allowing users to analyze, share, and store results, leveraging the storage and elastic compute of the cloud.
NCI has created components - the Genomic Data Commons (GDC) and the NCI Cloud Resources - that provide some of the core capabilities necessary for realizing a CRDC. Building on these components and the experience gained in developing them, NCI is initiating several activities to create the foundational elements of a CRDC. The NCI CRDC is being developed based on a set of governing principles. The CRDC will be:
- Modular, based on interoperable components with well-specified interfaces
- Community-driven, built with input and collaboration from many groups to foster a diversity of ideas and to ensure needs are met across the broad research community
- Open, developed under open-source licenses that enable extensibility, reuse, and the ability to add modules as needed
- Standards-based, consistent with standards developed by coalitions such as the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH), DICOM, and CDISC.
- Adhering to FAIR guiding principles for data management and stewardship, that data should be Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable